How to Have Fun in the Desert
The desert is much more than a vast expanse of dry, hot dusty land. If you look close, there is a lotof beauty
and wonder to see and experience.
- Wear layers. You want to be able to stay comfortable in the heat of the day, and inthe cold after
the sun goes down.
- Take lots of water. If you are planning to hike throughout the day, take about agallon of water per
day. Drink often.
- Take bug spray. The bugs can get pretty nasty, and a little protection will makeyou comfortable and
enable you to enjoy the day.
- Choose an activity that you are in shape for. Don't try to hike 20 miles if youhaven't hiked in 10
- If you get tired or hungry, stop and take a break. Don't push too hard. Heat exhaustion can kill.
- Slow down! Look at the flowers and desert plants. Try to spot lizards, snakes and birds thatlive in the
- Check with the rangers for the area you are going to visit to see if there are anydangers you should
- The desert areas in Utah have lots of areas to view ancient ruins. Plan a dayto go wandering and
searching for some.
- Try not to travel during the hottest part of the day (12:00 - 4:00 PM). Consider hikingearly in the
morning and taking a siesta during the hot hours.
- Visit the desert during spring or fall months for the most comfortable temperatures.
- Springtime in the desert can be a stunning feast for the eyes with the cactusflowers in bloom.