Fall Fun in Utah
How To Find Fall Colors
Just because we are in the middle of a desert doesn't mean nature can't put on a spectacular showin the fall. You just have to know when and where to look.
- Look for the Water. Desert vegetation tends to congregate around a desert
river or stream. Cottonwoods lining the banks will turn a brilliant gold during fall's prime time.
- Be Ready for Prime Time. Differing elevations have different prime times.
Check withthe forest service to see when the show is happening.
- Look in out-of-the-way places. You'd be surprised what lurks in the crevices
where leaves might collect after being scattered by the wind or rain.
- Look for late blooming flowers. Several types of flowering plants bloom in
the fall. They can add some wonderful color to an otherwise monotoned landscape in a vegetation-challenged desert.
- Look for details. Some of the most beautiful sights are found in the small
details. Look for fallen leaves on sand or rocks, or small vegetation growing in odd places.
- Look up! Autumn skies can be very dramatic with colorful sunsets, and
- Be sure to bring a camera. You'll want to preserve the memories of the
- Dress appropriately. When the sun goes down in autumn, the temperatures
can drop significantly.
- Check out our
Utah Fall Color Photo Gallery for some ideas of what Utah has to offer.